Week 1

친구와 가족!
Friends and family!

My first week has been nothing short of entirely wonderful, hard times and all. 

Let’s recap.

Tuesday evening I was set apart as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I got to officially put my name tag on! Growing up I never thought I would be wearing one but wow am I so grateful I chose to. It was so special to have my family with me during this moment of stepping into this new role.

Wednesday was my first day! Woke up bright and early at 6:30 got ready and peacefully started studying before any classes began. I read Alma 30:44:

“… The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.”

Let me tell you, there couldn’t have been a more perfect way to start this mission.
I looked up after finishing this chapter and looked out the window only to have almost an otherworldly experience. I saw the trees and fields and all the plants but they did not register in my mind as trees and plants. My mind recognized them solely as proof that there is a God. In that moment everything I saw on the Earth wasn’t what I had always known them as. They were purely a testament that God is real. 

Here’s some stats, we had a workshop with all the new missionaries starting that day, roughly 480. 71% were sisters, and 29% Elders!! Out of the 480 new missionaries, 4% are going to Asia.

I met my companion!! Sister Merkley is from Mesa Arizona. I love her. We both have had experiences in 3rd world countries that bring a deeper understanding of Gods love for His children in every corner of the world, a strong sense of gratitude for what we have, and a willingness and desire to SERVE Gods children no matter what their circumstances may be. Her experience was in Cambodia and mine in Vanuatu. I know that we were handpicked to begin this experience together- and I can’t wait to see how we grow together. 

I met my district! There are 8 of us. Each and every one of us bring different strengths and insights into what we are learning and discussing and it’s great. One of the sisters is from New Zealand and we have bonded over TimTams. I constantly had a box of those in our house in Vanuatu- and a few backups for when I ran out. I definitely felt ever so slightly out of place with being 21 and not 18 like most of them, if not all of them. But that’s okay!!!

Thursday I started to spend my 10 minute breaks outside with some of my siblings, doing odd jobs here and there or a short activity we came up with on the spot. Picking the ripe berries in the strawberry patch, seeing which chicken is easiest to catch (it’s Rick), making words with our shadows. This has been a huge blessing and I can absolutely notice a difference in my focus when I do this and when I don’t! I genuinely made a goal to “touch a plant” daily and I will be doing this every day for the next 18 months. 

Friday felt like the longest day so far, I was exhausted before my last class even finished. I started to zone out and not process a lot of the Korean grammer + vocab we were learning. I started to repeatedly think to myself I am so tired, it’s so late (my last class ends at 10pm Missouri time). I said a short and simple prayer to have energy and immediately a quote from Elder Holland came to mind:

"You only get one chance to serve a mission, it is your responsibility, your duty, to use it to its fullest; to give every last ounce of energy until you collapse in exhaustion at the end of it. All the hardships, all the tears, all the hard work will be looked back upon as the best thing you've ever done, maybe not because you enjoyed it, not because you baptized everyone, but because you gave it everything you had, even when you didn't think you could,… Live your mission to your fullest, work harder than you've ever worked before. Let people know that this is the most important thing in the world to you...”

My attitude changed instantly. I wasn’t tired anymore, and all of a sudden it wasn’t “too late”. Who was I to decide if it was too late to learn more about Christ? Too late to learn the language that will allow me to connect with His children in Korea? I was gladly willing to listen more intently and take more notes. Who was I to say that it wasn’t worth my last ounces of energy? IT WAS, it absolutely was and IS worth it. 

Like I said in the beginning, this week was nothing short of wonderful, hard times and all. 

Korean is HARD, classes are LONG, but I’m so grateful to be learning what I am. 

FUN FACT ABOUT KOREAN
The word Annyeong (안녕) is the foundation of almost all Korean greetings, and while the words are usually translated as “hello” or “goodbye”, its literal meaning is much deeper. “An”(안) means comfortable, safe or at ease. “Nyeong”(녕) means peaceful, restful or tranquil. Put them together and it literally means to “be in a state of comfort and peace”. 
There is historical context behind this!
In the past, Korea has faced frequent hardships (wars, harsh winters, food shortages). Asking if someone was “Annyeong” wasn’t just a polite hello- it was a literal inquiry into their survival and wellbeing. You were truly asking, “are you safe and at peace?”
And now it’s a sentiment of wishing someone peace when you say hello- Annyeonghasayo (are you at peace), and goodbye- Annyeonghi gyeseyo (please stay in peace) or Annyonghi gaseyo (please go in peace). 

Annyeong,
Olsen 자매














































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 9

Week 7

week 10