Week 3

 친구와 가족!

Friends and family!

I've arrived at the MTC! Get settled because we will be here til July 9th. 

WEDNESDAY my family and I went to the airport and said our goodbyes. Walking through security I felt so alone. No one else was wearing a name tag. No one else understood what it was. I found myself wanting to hide it a bit, I didn't want anyone to ask about it. I wasn't ready to explain it. I remember saying a very sincere quick prayer as I left security, "Heavenly Father please help me find someone I can bless, or someone who can bless me." I made it to my gate and it was pretty full. I walked around for a bit trying to find a seat. I decided on one and walked down the row and sat. Shortly after, an elderly lady sitting a few chairs down from me leans over and says very quietly, "Sister?" I looked over and said "Yes?"

 Let me tell you, being called Sister or Sister Olsen has been pretty uncomfortable. It's not something I'm used to. I've always been Lyberti. But this one word in the moment brought more comfort than I ever thought it would. She asked if I was going home or leaving. I said leaving. She said something about high emotions and came and sat right next to me and just hugged me. She asked where I'm going, how many siblings I have, what I've done in life, my parents. I told her about mine, and she told me about hers. She asked what my mom's phone number was, so I told her. She took a picture of us together and sent it to my mom and sent a message with "I'm here with your precious daughter..." 

Her husband joined us and we talked about his mission and their life and what I've learned of Korean so far. 
They were an answer to my prayer.

THURSDAY we had a devotional on the character of Christ. They taught how He turns outward when we would naturally turn inward. They used Cookie Monster as an analogy. "I want this, give me this now, this is mine"– always thinking about what you want and what you need and when you want it. But Christ turns outward in love, compassion, and service– even in times of need. In Matthew 4 He was being tempted by Satan in so many ways. In His struggle, He knew John had been sent to prison, and what did Jesus do? He didn't give in to the temptations, to what the natural man wanted... instead, He sent angels to minister unto John in John's time of need. 
He turns out when we would turn in.
I hope to practice this during my mission, send after.

FRIDAY was full of classes. They are so GOOD but also long. My district and I spent a lot of time studying Korean together and trying to speak it whenever we can, just using the words we know. I am so grateful for my district! We are a team and build each other up. It's been amazing getting to know everyone and physically being here with them. 

My Korean teacher said something in class. She said in her first area on her mission her trainer looked at her and said "at the end of my mission if someone remembers me as 'being amazing at Korean', then I have failed. I would hope they would say I loved serving people. That I loved God. That I tried to live like Christ. If my Korean skills are what they remember, then i have failed"
We all really needed to hear this.

THANK YOU to everyone who has replied and sent me emails!! I love hearing from you and I read every single one! I WILL slowly but surely reply to each. 


Annyeong, 
올센 자매


We were up early Wednesday to take Lybbi to the airport.  Early as in 3:30am. Lots of excitement for her new adventure! 20 minutes headed back home I got a text from a number I did not know. As I read the text, "I'm here with sweet girl. What a precious daughter. I'm sister Kathy Bourgeous from Carthage MO. God put us both in the same place when she needed a hug." and saw the picture I knew the Lord was watching over those serving him. She later sent a text and another picture. "She jus found another sister missionary that is flying to the MTC. They are chatting and getting to know each other." Then again in once they landed I recieved, " She is here in SLC. They found another sister missionary." 

So grateful for guardian angels and those who are living in a way that they can be close to the spirit AND follow it's promptings. -Mom-


























































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 9

Week 7

week 10