Skip to main content

week 8

 안녕하세요 여러분

Hello everyone

Significant events this week:
• Trip to the Health Clinic and Health Center (got to escape the MTC gates)
• bought a map from the MTC store
• President and Sister Farnes devotional - my favorite one so far and I could write a WHOLE other email about 
   this specifically
• I got a package from my best friend!!
• I got my visa 


A bit of a different format this time, we'll see how it goes.

I studied gratitude this week.

How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the flowers before thanking God that there is rain?

Im sure you've heard this before, but it's a good question.

How much of the journey do we miss by waiting for the end goal before thanking God for the opportunity?

This week we had government officials from Kyrgyzstan tour the MTC. These tours end with observing one of the 
many classes. Our class was selected. We found out the day before, when a member of the operations team here 
suddenly came into our class and told us what to expect the next day. 

We were to move our desks and place 15 chairs in the back of the classroom where they would sit. 

They walked in, we were asked to stand, hands were shaken, hellos were said, and seats were taken. They had 3 
translators with them translating between English and Kyrgyz. They introduced themselves, their leadership positions, 
then we each introduced ourselves.

They sat behind us as our teacher taught like normal. She explained the lesson in Korean, gave directions in Korean, 
we asked clarifying questions in Korean, and participated in Korean. They asked questions as they liked. At the end, we 
had the opportunity to ask them questions.

I asked them what had surprised them most about the MTC. 

A few of them answered. They said the fact that 6 out of the 8 of us came in knowing nothing, and after 1 week here 
started immersion classes (all classes are taught in Korean) and in just 4 weeks of immersion we are able to 
communicate and understand the way we do, is truly incredible.

They asked if they could come learn English here and not be a missionary haha. They also invited us to their country 
and explained that its only a 4 hour flight from Korea. 

Anyway, this experience reminded me of the question I asked in the beginning. 

I realized I have missed so much by focusing on where I want to be in the language, how much I don't know, before t
hanking God for the opportunity I have to study as long as I do every single day, and every small progress I make daily 
with His help. 

In Matthew 15, a multitude of 4,000+ has been with Jesus for 3 days. He doesn't send them away because He wants
 to feed them before they make their journey home. 

Jesus asked what food His disciples have. They have 7 loaves and a few tiny fishes. (This is a different story from the
 5 loaves and 2 fishes) He takes them and blesses it, and gives thanks for what they have. Guess what happens after 
He gives thanks.

A miracle.

The 7 loaves and few tiny fishes are enough to feed all 4,000+ people that they were full, and had 7 baskets of food l
eft over.

I know gratitude is powerful. It changes our perspective and allows miracles to happen in our lives. I know miracles 
still happen today- everyday. I know showing gratitude for our miracles, and what we do have, and the progress we 
have made, will change our lives. 

I know we will feel increased happiness, recognize progress, and develop selflessness. 

At least one meal a day my district goes around the table sharing things we are grateful for, like it's family 
Thanksgiving.

What are you grateful for?

I'd love to hear about it (and to know these aren't just going into the digital abyss) 

Love you all,
올센 자매







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 9

Week 7

week 10