week 14

AUG 10,2026 Hello everyone! The word of the day is 음식 (eumsheek) This means food. Let's just take a moment to discuss what I have eaten here haha. Here's a list of the interesting stuff: - sea cucumber - ground eel soup - octopus - raw marinated squid - intestine (not sure what kind) - mussels and clams - pig feet - abalone Some of the less interesting normal things: - seaweed soup - kimchi stew - soup with an entire half a chicken just sitting in broth - lots of spam and rice and seaweed - bread with red bean paste inside - lots of chewy rice cakes - yakgwah!! My favorite snack. It's like a honey cookie. If you can find them on Amazon or something I highly recommend. ALSO! I GOT MY PHONE! In some ways it was nice to live without a phone for a month. But now I have uploaded all the pictures from my first month here! https://photos.app.goo.gl/2mHSSBgq2RK6ajNR6 This week felt very long. We had sisters conferences where we had some trainings and played a fun relay game! We split into teams and each team had to complete the course while being times. First was a 4 legged race, then choco pie eating contest, then we had to kick our shoes into the air and try to land them on the target, then cup stacking, then basket ball hats, then ping pong tic tac toe and then to the finish line. It was so fun. It was also kinda a sad week. We had to stop teaching one of our friends because she is not longer interested in learning about the gospel. She said she is happy and believes in God so she doesn't see a need to learn the lessons. We were also late to our appointment with her and she said in English "big probelm". We met with the lady that waved us down at the crosswalk a few weeks ago. She said we were going to Subway. I watched as we walked right past Subway and I had a feeling it would be like the McDonalds and pig feet situation again. And it was. We had octupus and intestine instead. She asked us how a spirit and the Holy Spirit are different. Then she shared how her grandson had passed away a month ago. She shared about things he struggled with in life and how his parents were unkind. She tried to tell me what she could in English, "he just needed someone kind" she said. She cried and we cried with her. That was the first time I have cried here in Korea. We shared about eternal families and I shared a pamphlet about the plan of happiness. She was so grateful to hear what we had to say and wants to meet again this week. She grabbed my hand while we walked her home and just held onto it for awhile. I think in a way it was her just holding onto the hope we had given her. She said that through meeting with us, she had come to understand the difference between a spirit and the Holy Spirit. I know she needed us. She needed someone to talk to. She needed to find hope. Be kind. Especially when there are differences. Check in on people. If they need to talk, listen. I think the world needs a lot more of that. In every country. I know that we can find hope through Christ. I would love to hear from you all. What are your thoughts on my food lists? Have you tried any of them? Would you? Where do you find hope? 올슨 자매

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 9

Week 7

week 10